Practice self love and boost your body image with these 30 body positive affirmations!
Body image is a very personal and emotional topic. The pressure to adhere to a certain beauty/body standard is not a new phenomenon but with the rise of social media in the last decade or so, the messaging has become even more in your face.
On the other hand, there are also rising voices in popular culture and on social media today that advocate for body positivity and neutrality. And yet, it’s still hard at times to look past the years of conditioning when it comes to truly accepting our bodies, especially if they do look different from what has for years been touted as ideal or desirable.
Is it any wonder that many of us still suffer from body image issues! My own relationship with my weight and body image is complicated. It’s something of an ongoing journey – learning to accept my body for what it is, and at the same time, working to get physically fitter and stronger.
There’s no magic pill that can make you instantly go from ‘I hate how I look’ to ‘I love my body unquestionably’, but as I am learning myself, practicing self-love and self-compassion can make the process a lot more easier.
Making a Case for a Healthy Body Image
There are many reasons why it’s important to cultivate a healthy relationship with your body and food – quite apart from weight loss or fitness goals, which can also be an outcome when you work towards better self-acceptance.
The truth is that when we don’t accept our bodies for what they are, we start to reject them and perpetuate a negative cycle. And this can lead to some very unhealthy habits and behaviors – like eating disorders or even addiction issues.
In order to feel good in our own skin and be able to live life fully, we need a healthy body image. Our appreciation of our bodies should not be merely tied to how we look, because really, there is more to our worth than what we look like!
How To Cultivate a Body-positive Attitude
A body-positive attitude is about embracing your body as it is. It’s about self-acceptance and loving yourself fully, without any conditions.
With all the celebration of ‘thinness’ that we’ve seen over the years, the answer to cultivating a body positive attitude is not as simple as ‘just stop judging yourself!’ – everybody’s relationship with their body is different.
It’s also unlikely going to be an overnight change. As with most things related to our minds, and behavior change, the key is to slowly reframe your thinking. Instead of beating yourself up for all the ways you think your body is all sorts of wrong, you need to move towards a new way of thinking about yourself, based on self-acceptance rather than judgment.
It’s important that you start off by taking an honest inventory of the thoughts that come into your head about yourself, and then slowly work on replacing the negative thoughts with positive sentiments and inspired action.
Affirmations can be a helpful tool in your journey towards improved body image and cultivating a body positive attitude.
Can Body Positive Affirmations Help?
Disclosure: If you buy something through my links, I may earn an affiliate commission, at no extra cost to you. I only recommend products or services that I use and trust and that will be valuable to you. Thank you for your support!
Affirmations are positive statements about yourself that you repeat to yourself. The repetition of these messages, over time and with conscious effort can help reshape the way you think.
When they’re personalized, affirmations become a powerful tool for self-love and acceptance. And frankly, it’s not just the words themselves, but also how you say them. In order to get the most out of your affirmations, make sure that as you recite each one, you are repeating it with conviction and self-love in your voice. Be mindful to put a lot of positive energy and emotion into each word.
In the context of improving your body image, body positive affirmations can help you to:
- Cultivate a more positive mentality towards your body and love your body unconditionally
- Remove negative thoughts about yourself from your consciousness – so you can finally have peace of mind
- Improve self-esteem, which will, in turn, improve confidence, happiness, and quality of life.
And let’s be honest – we can all do with a little boost of positive energy and self love, right?
PS – This self love journal & workbook is now available if you want to do some inner work and get back to finding and loving yourself.
Body Positive Affirmations to Boost Your Body Image and Practice Self Love
To help get you started, I’ve put together a list of 30 body positive affirmations that you can incorporate into your daily self-care routine:
- My body is precious to me; it allows me to live my best life in this world.
- I am a beautiful and worthy human being just as I am.
- My body is worthy of love and respect as it is.
- I unconditionally accept and love myself just as I am.
- There are no limitations on what my body can do for me today.
- My self-worth is not tied to how I look in the mirror or how much I weigh.
- I thank the food that I am eating for nourishing me.
- Food is not good or bad. It’s value to me is linked to how it nourishes my body and soul.
- My body is a blessing from the Universe.
- The food I eat nourishes and energizes me.
- I am blessed with good health.
- I accept my body and myself as I am, and I move forward with love.
- I feel good when I take care of my mind and body.
- I exercise to make my body healthy.
- My body is my home and I will take care of it.
- I honor and respect my body with nourishing food, positive thoughts, and physical movement.
- What others think of me does not define who I really am at heart or my worth.
- As I continue doing work on myself that fulfills me on a weekly basis, any weight loss will be an added bonus.
- My diet is made up of my daily eating habits, not what I need to follow for a mere 15 days to get my dream body.
- I will pay close attention to what my body is telling me and treat it with care.
- My body is a source of strength, not insecurity or shame.
- I am not defined by what my body looks like; I’m so much more than that!
- I am grateful for what my body is capable of doing.
- I am free to be who I really am, and I refuse to allow the words “thin” or “fat” to define me.
- I will no longer be enslaved by labels, thoughts and feelings that do not belong to me.
- My body deserves respect for all that it’s capable of doing.
- I will take time for self-care on a daily basis.
- There is no room in my life for shame or embarrassment about myself anymore.
- It’s not the number of pounds I have gained or lost that matters; it’s how I feel inside that determines how successful my journey has been.
- My body is perfect for me.
This list of affirmations is designed to make your journey towards body acceptance easier. Repeating affirmations to yourself might feel awkward to begin with, but with time, hopefully, it will help to reframe your thinking as far as your body image is concerned.
And if you’d like to receive this list of affirmations in the form of printable affirmation cards, sign up below to get them now! Once you print them out, you can use them on your vision board, or in your planner or journal, or as a phone wallpaper.
If you have any favorites or have your own experience with affirmations and body image, feel free to share them in the comments below!
Image via Shutterstock.