It’s not a secret that living a ‘good life’ ultimately boils down to the habits and routines we follow on a daily basis.
Given the kind of changes that I’ve witnessed personally and of course, collectively, over the last couple of years, I am truly treating 2022 as a sort of foundational year for my personal growth. A lot of that hinges on being able to cultivate a few simple but worthwhile habits which will help steer my life in the direction I want to.
A few weeks ago, I was having a discussion with a couple of friends on health and good habits as one does! One of them mentioned that fixing his night-time routine and sleep habits was one of the best things he’s ever done for himself. And let’s just say that night-time routine and sleeping schedule could do with some serious upgrade!
Anyway, since that conversation, the seeds were planted in my head about slowly but gradually making over my night-time habits. For context, my earlier habits included staying up till hours past midnight, doing mostly meaningless stuff on my phone or laptop, and snacking endlessly!!!
I’ll talk about some broader changes that I’ve made to my overall night-time habits in a separate post, but one of my favorite additions has been adding bedtime affirmations to my routine.
What are Bedtime Affirmations?
Bedtime affirmations are short, positive phrases or mantras that you can repeat before going to sleep to help put you in a calm, relaxed, and optimistic frame of mind.
Repeating bedtime affirmations to yourself is one of the easiest and most effective ways of getting into bed with a clear mind and positive thoughts. They are a simple way to close out on the day and prepare yourself mentally for a new day.
Do Affirmations Before Bed Work?
We all need restful nights in order to live happy lives, but sometimes we just don’t know what will keep us calm enough at bedtime. Bedtime affirmations can be dismissed as yet another woo-woo affliction of the millennial generation, but from my personal experience in dealing with racing thoughts before bedtime, I know that these sleep affirmations really do work.
While all affirmations are meant to be uplifting and steer your mind towards positive thinking, these night affirmations work one level further by encouraging you to let go of the day gone by, calm your mind, and also deliver subliminal messages to reframe and refocus your thoughts.
Bedtime affirmations set you up for a peaceful night’s sleep, which sets you one step closer to waking up refreshed and brimming with positive energy.
What Bedtime Affirmations are Not
Before you start thinking that these bedtime affirmations will turn into a self-help book in your head – no need to worry! Bedtime affirmations are meant to be short and sweet. There’s not enough space for long rambling sentences or flowery language here. Bedtime is for rest, not for working yourself up into a frenzy.
The affirmations listed below are short and simple – keep them that way!
How to Use Bedtime Affirmations
There’s no right or wrong way to use bedtime affirmations, but I like to recite mine as the last thing before sleeping after I’ve done some bedtime reading. I lie flat on my back, close my eyes, hold my hand over my heart, and speak out some of the below affirmations softly 3-5 times.
If I find my thoughts in a particular frenzy, I accompany these affirmations with some light tapping (with my fingertips) on the center of my chest, or around my collarbones. This light and repetitive touch helps to recenter my thoughts and usually helps me calm down quickly.
Again, as I said, there is no right or wrong way to use bedtime affirmations. Do them in a manner that feels most relaxing to you. Another option is to keep your eyes open and focus your gaze (loosely) on a particular point around you as you run through your affirmations.
Don’t worry about the number of affirmations you use or the number of times you repeat any affirmations. You can pick just one affirmation to repeat multiple times or repeat 5-7 affirmations a few times over.
These affirmations are meant to calm you down and set you up for a night of restful sleep – the last thing you need is to fret about technique.
60 Soothing Bedtime Affirmations for a Restful Sleep
Don’t worry about memorizing these affirmations word to word. Think of them as suggestions or starting points and adapt as per your preference and needs.
Bedtime Affirmations for Anxiety
- I let go of my worries and responsibilities of the day
- Tomorrow is a new day and it is filled with possibilities
- I release all stress and tension from my body
- I forgive myself and I forgive all
- Today is complete and I will begin afresh tomorrow
- I let go of things beyond my control
- I can overcome any challenges that might come my way
- I am strong and brave and capable
- I am safe and I am protected
- My mind and body will heal as I sleep
- All is well in my world
Bedtime Affirmations for Self-Love
- I am kind to myself
- I accept and forgive myself completely
- I love and embrace myself just as I am
- I am enough and I did enough
- I have done my best today
- I give myself permission to relax and sleep well
- I deserve the best that life has to offer
- I am in the driver’s seat of my reality and my story
- I am worthy of rest and good dreams
- I allow myself to drift off into a deep, peaceful sleep
READ MORE: 30 Empowering Self Love Affirmations
Bedtime Affirmations for Success and Confidence
- My dreams are coming true
- I release any fear or doubt that stands in my way
- I am confident and capable
- Good things are coming to me now
- I am a dreamer and a doer
- The universe/God supports me in all that I do
- Everything is working out for my highest good
- I am full of possibilities and I am moving towards my goals
- I am on the right path
- I am living my best life
Bedtime Affirmations for Restful Sleep
- I allow myself to rest now
- I am relaxed and at ease now
- I am deeply relaxed and at peace
- I am on my way to dreaming good dreams
- My sleep is peaceful and deep, and I wake up feeling refreshed and energized
- I am looking forward to a beautiful day tomorrow
- Tomorrow will be an amazing day
Bedtime Affirmations for Gratitude
- I am grateful for today
- I am grateful for this bed that supports me
- I am grateful for these soft sheets and comfortable pillow
- I am grateful for my safe and peaceful home
- I am grateful for my loved ones who love and support me
- I am grateful for the opportunities that are coming my way
- I am grateful for the moments I spent with my kids/family/friends
- I am grateful for this body that is supporting me
- I am grateful for all the good in my life
- I am grateful for all that I have
- I am grateful for all my blessings
Bedtime Affirmations for When You’re Struggling Through Life
- I did my best today
- I am safe and I am loved
- I am slowly but surely moving towards the life I desire
- I am taking things one day at a time, and I know tomorrow is another day filled with possibilities
- I am getting better and healing every day
- My struggles are only temporary
- My current challenges will only strengthen me for whatever tomorrow brings
- I am brave and I know I can deal with anything
- I am hopeful and I know better things are just around the corner
- I surrender to the Universe/God and I know I will be taken care of
- I am okay and I will be okay
I hope that some of these night-time affirmations resonate with you and that you feel encouraged to include them in your night routine.
Of course, bedtime affirmations are not the only way to have a restful sleep. You should definitely consider switching off electronics at least an hour before bed – there is enough science and expert advice to back this up. You can also try reading something comforting, sipping on a soothing cup of chamomile tea, or even writing in your journal as a part of your night routine.
I’d love to hear from you: Which one of these is your favorite? Do you already use affirmations as a part of your night routine? What would you add to this list?